How possible is it to get out of a speeding ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How possible is it to get out of a speeding ticket?

I was just entering a construction zone on a highway and I was following a dump truck. It was going as fast, if not faster, than I was. Then as I looked to the side of the road, I saw a motorcycle cop with a radar gun, and he pulled me over. I asked him if he was sure that he had gunned me and not the truck, since I couldn’t see him until I was about to pass him. He said that he had gotten me, and that the truck very well could have been speeding but he had other things going on and wasn’t concerned. What can I do to get out of this?

Asked on October 11, 2011 under General Practice, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's unlikely you can "get out of" the ticket--there  is no law that says you may go as fast as other traffic, and no requirement that the police pull over everyone that speeds; so long as they are not discriminating on some improper basis (e.g. due to race), the police can choose to pull ove this person but not that one. It is also very difficult to challenge the accuracy of the radar gun--that has been litigated many, many times, and the police and radar gun almost always win. You best bet, if you have an otherwise clean record, is to see if you can't the offense bargained down to a lesser one; to do that, your best bet is to hire a local attorney who has experience handling traffic tickets and who knows all the "players" (e.g. the prosecutor, the judge, etc.). Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption