How much shouldI receive for a motorcycle accident?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much shouldI receive for a motorcycle accident?

The insurance company representing the party at fault has offered me $1600 pain and suffering on a $3340 hospital bill. Should I ask for more and is it OK to do so? Should I speak with a personal injury attorney? in Tucson, AZ.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with experienced personal injury counsel. Valuing an injury is an art, not a science--there are no firm guidelines to follow, and an experienced lawyer is best positioned to determine if you are being low-balled, and by how much.

That said:

1) A reasonable rule of thumb is that if you suffered long-lasting or permanent disability (even minor), pain, disfigurement, or insability to do normal routines of living, that you might receive at least 1 times, possibly up to 3 times, the medical costs. So if you have suffered as described, offering you 50% of the medical costs may be too low.

2) If you don't accept the offer made but instead counter, the offer technically is rejected and comes off the table. (It's like selling a house; if you counter, the buyer does not need to honor his original offer.) However, while you need to bear that in mind, you are allowed to counter or ask for more if you think you can get a better deal. Just be aware that it could theoretically result in them no longer being willing to pay the first offer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption