How much should I be asking from my former employer over wage disputes?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much should I be asking from my former employer over wage disputes?

I have invalid pay stubs, failure to provide
written request for timesheets and commission
sheets, email falsifying that I filed out
commission sheets. I was also never paid for
my commission, which I have copies of but fear
that because they failed to provide me records,
may owe me more. Also disputing split shift
premiums. Need advice for how much I should
be asking, thanks

Asked on July 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

At the end of the day, you are entitled to the amount you should have been paid but were not (e.g. any commissions you earned which were not paid to you; unpaid shift differential pay)--that is the amount you should be seeking: calculate what you would have earned had you been paid propertly, subtract fromit what you were in fact paid during that period, and the difference is what you should get (and ask for).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption