How much money shouldI expect from a car accident?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much money shouldI expect from a car accident?

I was hit head-on; the other driver was at fault. It caused my ankle and wrist to brake and my hip to fracture. Should I speak with a personal injury attorney? In Atlanta, GA.

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Definitely consult with a personal injury attorney: an attorney will maximize your chance of winning and the amount you can recover. Here are some guidelines, though every case is different:

1) You can recover actual medical costs and projected future medical costs.

2) You can recover actual lost wages (i.e. you couldn't work) and projected future dimunition of earnings (you can't work as work or in as lucrative a field).

3) You can recover for other assistance or out-of-pocket costs; e.g. do you need to hire a housekeeper for a time or an aide of some kind?

4) For a serious enough injury, or one with long lasting or permanent consequences, you can get pain and suffering which is *usually* between one and three or four times the medical costs.

5) You can recover for property damage (e.g. your car)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption