How much does it cost to get one’s criminal record expunged?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much does it cost to get one’s criminal record expunged?

Can both infractions and misdemeanors be expunged? After a case is expunged, are there any organizations (public or private) that can still unearth the case? How fast could a case be expunged (in case you are expecting a background check by a possible employer)?

Asked on January 26, 2014 under Criminal Law, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unlike some other states, New York State does not expunge criminal convictions except as part of some drug treatment court pleas.  There is usually pending legislation in Albany to address this but it hasn't passed yet.  Most infractions seal after one year but are not expunged.  Misdemeanors do not seal.  Criminal convictions are public record and in theory can be seen by anyone.  Sealed infractions can usually be seen by government agencies, law enforcement and some professional licensing divisions.  This is not an exhaustive list and there are always those infractions that should have been sealed that weren't.  Visit the Criminal Justice Agency website to learn how to view your personal criminal history:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption