How much property damage must be done before a police report of an auto accident needs to be made?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much property damage must be done before a police report of an auto accident needs to be made?

Someone hit my mailbox and broke the post. They also did some damage to their vehicle. I was told that if their wasn’t $500 damage done they won’t bother. I am sure their bumper won’t be cheap to replace, and now who is going to repair my mailbox? They just stuck what was left of the post into the ground.

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Accident Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You are correct in that there is a threshold on the amount of property damage that automatically requires a police report.  Oftentimes, that amount is over $500.00 in total damages.  If your mailbox has been damaged, including the post, and the person's vehicle was damaged, I would ensure there was a police report filed in this matter.  If this means you need to speak with the captain or person in charge, then push the issue because ultimately your police report will help you in filing any insurance claims (whether those insurance claims are through your homeowner's insurance or the driver's motor vehicle insurance). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption