How much am I responsible to pay for dirtbike that I broke?

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much am I responsible to pay for dirtbike that I broke?

About 6 months ago, I broke my friend’s aunt’s dirt bike. She offered for me to ride it. I was 18 years old and it was my first time riding it. It broke. She say she needs roughly $3,000 to fix it. How much am I responsible to pay? She asked hoe much I coud afforf to pay and i told her about $1,000 but it wasn’t enough.

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Accident Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would be liable for negligence for the damage to the dirt bike.  Negligence is the failure to exercies due care (that degree of care that a reasonable person would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  You would be liable for the total cost of repairs to the dirt bike.  Your aunt could sue you for negligence and her damages (the amount of compensation she is seeking in her lawsuit would be the cost of repairs to the dirt bike).  She may be able to file the lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Her damages would also include court costs such as the court filing fee and process server fee.

Your aunt has to mitigate (minimize) damages.  For example, the repair shop where the bike is to be repaired should be charging an amount comparable to what other repair shops in the area are charging.  If your aunt selects the most expensive place she can find to repair the dirt bike, her damages will be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption