How much am I entitled to if I was hurt while riding a city bus that crashed into another vehicle?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much am I entitled to if I was hurt while riding a city bus that crashed into another vehicle?

I was on a city bus when a pick up truck pulled out in front of the bus we slammed into the side of the pick up causing me to be thrown out of my seat forward into an object that I hit with the right side of my face cutting my lip, also is causing me to have pain and discomfort in my neck and right shoulder. I was briefly unconscious for about 8-10 seconds when I came to I seen the bus driver looking down at me asking me something I couldn’t hear him at first. I looked down and saw blood and felt pain in my lip and neck. I stayed lying down until paramedics arrived who then escorted me to a gurney to be taken by ambulance to the emergency room/hospital for evaluation and X-rays.

Asked on May 17, 2019 under Personal Injury, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First, bear in mind that there is no automatic entitlement to anything: you'd have to sue either the city and bus driver, and/or truck driver and company owing the truck, for compensation and prove that one or more of them were driving carelessly or had poorly maintained vehicles (were at fault) in order to get compensation, assuming that no one voluntarily offers you any.
Second, if you were to sue, you'd be entitled to the sum of:
1) You out of pocket (not paid by insurance, etc.) medical costs;
2) Any lost wages from missing work due to the accident;
3) If you suffered serious long lasting or permanent disability, disfigurement, or life impairment, some amount for "pain and suffering," which amount would vary enormously based on the duration and severity of the impairment.
Therefore, there is no general or typical amount you'd get: it depens on the exent of your injuries, bills, and lost wages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption