How many days do you have to change your mind after signing paperworkif financing a used vehicle?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How many days do you have to change your mind after signing paperworkif financing a used vehicle?

Drove onto lot with vehicle overheating. I left with a vehicle that has more problems than the one I went there with. I gave cash down and signed paperwork. Is there any law that protects against getting worked over like this?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You usually don't have any time to change your mind on financing unless the contract itself states you have a certain amount of days or your state statutes allow you something like three days to rescind the contract. If your state has lemon laws regarding used vehicles, that might help. You may also file a complaint with the entity who regulates this type of sale and explain that this is an unfair and deceptive act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption