How long would i have to vacate boyfriends home should he die as his home is not in my name but i live with him

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long would i have to vacate boyfriends home should he die as his home is not in my name but i live with him

We are domestic partners but nothing more, when I bring up him getting a will that
states the home would go to me, he becomes very angry. Im concerned, im almost
61, he is 54 in. March. Should he pass away, how long would i have to vacate
before his children throw me out

Asked on January 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

That is a tough situation to be in and a tough question to ask here.  If he should pass then you would not be considered a renter or owner without a Will/deed/lease.  So his next of kin that would inherit the property will likely have to evict you.  How long that takes depends on how fast someone is appointed as Personal Representative of his estate and files the papers in court to get you out.  I would not, however, count on being there that long and I would worry about your belongings that are of value in the apartment because all the contents may be considered his in an estate situation. Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption