How long to I have to store my ex-boyfriend’s belongings after telling him to leave?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long to I have to store my ex-boyfriend’s belongings after telling him to leave?

He lived in the home for 11 years and we have 2 children (21/15). We were never married. He was asked to leave in Oct 2009. He requested to have until J01/01/1/10 to find a new residence. On 05/01/10 I gave him until 05/07/10 to vacate, after inquiring several times regarding the moving date. the locks were changed on the 8 and he picked up a duffel bag and a storage box of his personal items on the 10. None of this is documented or has gone through the legal system. There was never a lease. His name has never been on any of the home bills. no separate entrance.

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

But did he pay some of the bills or money for the mortgage or anything that could establish him as a "tenant" in some way?  If the answer is "yes" and the court would agree that he could establish himself as such rather than a "guest",  then I would worry about changing the locks on him and doing anything with his things without a court order.  You really may have had to formally "evict" him as a month to month tenant.  In the meantime you are considered to be in a bailment situation of his belongings and doing anything adverse to them would be considered conversion.  Get advice from an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption