How long toI have beforeI have to move once my house is forclosed on?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long toI have beforeI have to move once my house is forclosed on?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have been asked to move out of your former home by its new owner or have been served with a notice of eviction as a hold over owner, you really are under no legal time constraints to move out.

You need to be aware that possibly the new owner will offer you cash for the keys to the former home ($1,500 or so) if you voluntarily agree to move out and do so by a certain date.

Possibly the new owner may file a legal action to evict you from your former house. If that happens and assuming you fail to file a timely answer to the summons and complaint, you could be defaulted and served with an eviction order from the court requiring immediate move out within 15 days or so after you are served with any summons and complaint by the new owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption