How long is an interim divorce judgement enforced if the divorce is not finalized for several years?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long is an interim divorce judgement enforced if the divorce is not finalized for several years?

I filed for divorce 3 years ago and an interim judgement was signed in reference to child support, alimony, custody and community property; expenses to remain in effect until the divorce was finalized. Due to the inability to pay remaining fee’s to my attorney, my divorce was not finalized. Judgement was rendered 2 1/2 years ago and I am still paying this ridiculous amount of alimony, child support &andother expenses. Is there a point which this judgement expires or is no longer enforceable? I am unable to retain a new atty because of what I am required to pay out.

Asked on June 2, 2011 under Family Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is a bit of information left out here.  Did you and your spouse enter in to an agreement regarding the property, etc.,  that was put in writing?  Have your circumstances changed since the initial order?  When you say "finalized" do you mean that the paperwork was close to being filed? Generally speaking, the order does not expire and remains in effect until such time as a new order is put in its place.  At the very least you need to bring a motion for modification of the prior order but a change in circumstances is the basis.  I know that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place and I commend you for following the order but you need to find a way to seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption