how long does it take for a baby in phillippines with an american father to become a us citizen?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how long does it take for a baby in phillippines with an american father to become a us citizen?

My brother married a girl in the Phillipines. He has a 2 year old son, and a
daughter who was born in January. He is currently working on getting his
wife and son visas to come to the US. How long will it take for his daughter
to receive US citizenship?

Asked on April 14, 2016 under Immigration Law, Hawaii


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The citizenship for a child of a US citizen born abroad is automatic.  The birth has to be registered with the US Embassy in the Philippines and then the child can get a passport.  The process to get the spouse to the US on an immigrant visa takes about 10-12 months on average.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption