How long do you have to transfer the deed of a deceased person’s property to another name?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do you have to transfer the deed of a deceased person’s property to another name?

I know the property has been allocated to someone else in court documents, but on the property deed and property tax information the deceased person’s name still remains. The person is receiving rental income from the property but is not claiming it. What should be done and should it be reported to the county? In AZ.

Asked on April 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What I believe that you are saying is that the property was left to someone in the Will of the decedent and that the Will has been filed in court, correct?  Is that what you mean by court documents? May I ask: where is the executor of the Will in all of this?  He or she should be collecting the rents as an asset of the estate. When the time comes for transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries the executor will prepare an executor's deed for the transfer from the estate to the beneficiary.  I am unclear who you are in all of this and where the matter stands legally.  I would suggest that you consult with an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption