How long do you have to report a non-injury accident on private property?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do you have to report a non-injury accident on private property?

How long does law enforement have to deliver the ticket can it be done by mail 5 days later? Pick-up was worth approximately $750.

Asked on December 1, 2014 under Accident Law, Nebraska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The Nebraska Department of Roads holds the forms necessary to file. It may not actually make a big difference if it is on a private road. The issue is you have to report any such accident unless (in some states), a police report is required only. Check with your local law enforcement. As to your second question, if a ticket wasn't issued on site, chances are you won't get a ticket. If you believe a ticket was issued, you can check. It doesn't hurt to ask a general question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption