how long do landlords have to fix problems

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how long do landlords have to fix problems

the back of the balcony fell off my sons second story apartment on 6-12-09 they put up a maybe 2 1/2ft plywood sheet to cover most of the whole. i have a almost 3 yr sold grandson and am affraid he can get up over it now that there is a opening for him to see over it. they wont dicount his rent either because of this inconvience. he has stayed at my house for a week and a half because to hot but he can’t leave patio window over for fear his son can get hurt or killed by getting over this board. what can be done?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Washington


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It's time to let the housing inspector or the building inspector know about this situation.  I'm sure an official like that will have some less than kind words for your landlord, and an administrative order that tells the landlord to fix it, by a short deadline, or start paying a fine, often per day, if not.

Building construction and safety codes exist and the reason they exist is to protect us from situations like this.  But you have to let the officials know of the problem, if you want the help that's out there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption