How long do I need to keep my exwife’s propertyclothes, shoes and other personal items?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do I need to keep my exwife’s propertyclothes, shoes and other personal items?

The Divorce was finalized Dec. 4th of 2018.

It was not in the divorce agreement when she
had to have it removed. I have asked her to
come and get it multiple time.

Asked on July 7, 2019 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Send her something in writing, sent some way you can prove delivery, stating what she has at your house and restating or summarizing your attempts to have her remove it. State she has thirty days to retrieve it or you will drop it off at her home. State firmly that you have not agreed to store or keep it for her or to be responsible for it.
Repeat with a 15-day warning.
Then if she stlll doesn't come and get it, drop it off at her home and text or email her (so you have a written record) of when you did and where you left it. Take photographs showing how you left it for her and where.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption