How long do I legally have to store my ex-wife’s possesions?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do I legally have to store my ex-wife’s possesions?

My now ex-wife just up and left to another state with only the clothes on her back. She signed the divorce papers that stated we had divided everything equally. She has no means to recover her items withing the next 30 to 60 days. How long do I legal have to store her things?

Asked on June 15, 2011 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay so here is what I am concerned about for your sake: you have now become a storage facility for her half of the things and in essence a bailment situation has occurred.  If you do anything to adversely effect her belongings I am afraid that she will co0me back and sue you for "conversion" of her things. Also, without reading the divorce papers and what they may say with regards to the items that were left I do not know what type of guidance to give you.  Was there real property as well to divide? You really need to seek some guidance here from your attorney in the matter and see about paying him or her to write a letter regarding the things.  Maybe get her to sign a release for the items left behind?  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption