How long do I have to keep personal property after the divorce?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do I have to keep personal property after the divorce?

The divorce was on 9 months ago. Judgement for the division of property was 2 months later. He asked for some personal items, puzzles, tools, ladders, etc. both before and after the division of property. I have given him most of the things on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd list he gave me. Now he has presented a 4th list of items. I would like to sell some of the items to help pay for the legal fees that seem to never end. How many years do I have to keep giving him things?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the items that your former spouse is seeking are his, then you are legally obligated to provide such to him. However, there is a realisitic time period for him to get such. I would write him a letter setting forth a deadline to pick up the items he wons. If the deadline comes and goes, you need to mention in the letter that you will then start charing him a monthly rental for the items such a $100.

Such a statement should spur the retrieval of the itmes. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference.

The problem of disposing of the items unliaterally may subject you to a claim for wrongful disposal of the belongings.

To be on the safe side, you could file a petition with the court asking that the court order the pick up of the items by a certain date and if not, then the court would allow you to dispose of the items without any recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption