How long do employers have to pay after an employee is fired?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do employers have to pay after an employee is fired?

I have acquired multiple vacation days and sick days. I was fired for “not getting along with other employees”, which I think is bull. But I know they can do it without cause. So I just want to know what they owe me, and how long they have.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  In Louisiana the law is the same if you are fired or if you quit with regard to your last paycheck.  Under  La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 23:631, an employee that is fired or quits is to receive their last paycheck the next payday or within 15 days, whichever is earlier.  Here, though, you are also asking what they owe you.  That s not easy to give guidance on here as it is unclear how your company works.  Do you accrue vacation and sick days and is it company policy to be paid for them when you leave?  These are questions best asked to the person in charge of benefits or look to an employee manual on the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption