What do I do if a public defender’s office fails to communicate with a client?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if a public defender’s office fails to communicate with a client?

My PD has not communicated with me about any upcoming issues or court dates. There have been no letters, texts, nothing. When I do go their office I’m asked to leave a message/note. And once again nothing. Who can I contact about these concerns?

Asked on June 19, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have a couple of different options....
First, you can hire your own attorney that will be more attentive to your issues.
Second, you can express your concerns the judge at your next court date and ask that he appoint another attorney to represent you.
Third, you can contact the state bar and file a grievance against the attorney's assigned to represent you for failure to communicate effectively with you.
These are the main options that you have... and can be used in any order... not just the order listed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption