How long can someone be jailed without a court date or bond set?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can someone be jailed without a court date or bond set?

Girlfriend has been in a week with no update on her status. She is just sitting in jail. 2 charges of possession of a controlled substance.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In this country the United States' Constituion as well as the constitutions of all states guarantee one's right to a speedy trial once  a person has been arrested and charged with a criminal offense. The length of time in which a person must be brought to trial if he or she does not waive the time for a speedy trial is set forth within each state's criminal code.

To find out what the time period is in Alabama to go to trial you will have to do a bit of research on the subject.

If your girlfriend has been in jail for sometime without any arraignment, court hearings, or bond proceedings, you should go to the public defender's office in the county where she is incarcerated to see if assistance can be provided.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption