How long can an item be left at your house before it’s legally yours?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can an item be left at your house before it’s legally yours?

My husband was given a Gpad to fix as a favor for a co-worker. Well my husband looked up the part he needed to fix it and told his co-worker. The co-worker has done nothing about it, We have called him multiple times to ask if he wanted it fixed or if he just wants it back. It’s been at our house over 90 days with no answer from the Gpad’s owner. I looked up the prices on it and everywhere I looked it doesn’t go for over $150. I was wondering if we would get in trouble if we fixed and paid for it ourselves and kept it or just throwing it away?

Asked on April 24, 2016 under Business Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no hard and fast rule. One way to proceed is to send him something in writing, sent some way or ways you can prove delivery, telling him in writing that if he doesn't arrange to retrieve it in thirty (30) days, you will assume he does not want it anymore and will dispose of it. Also receipt in the letter how long it's been there and the prior attempts (as best you recall them, and as specifically as you can describe them) to resolve the issue. Keep the proof of delivery. If he doesn't act within the 30 days, then do with it as you will.
Alternately, you could send the GPad back to him some way you can track and prove its delivery, such as by by FedEx with tracking, though then you end up paying for the delivery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption