How long can a life tenant stay on a property?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can a life tenant stay on a property?

My mother is terminally ill. When she passes, her husband will be given a life tenancy in her house but my brother and I will inherit it. Can he really stay until he dies?

Asked on November 19, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A life tenant has a legal tenancy until their death. The exceptions to this would be if they violate their duties as such a tenant. In other words, if they fail to maintain the premises or cause other "waste" to it. For example, they do not pay the property taxes, repair the roof, if needed, etc. In such an event, the "remainderman", that is the one who inherited the property and who takes it over upon the life tenant's death, can bring an action for the life tenant's removel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption