how long can a finance company collect a debt you did not remember making in tn

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how long can a finance company collect a debt you did not remember making in tn

a finance contacted me after 14 years and said I owed a bill. how long can they collect on something this old?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a debt allegedly more than 14 years old and assuming there is no judgment against you for it, the debt is time barred under your state's statute of limitations to seek payment on. Assuming there is a judgment against you for the debt and the judgment is more than 10 years old, there is a chance that the judgment has expired.

Beware of many scammers on this issue. Do not give any personal information such as social security numbers or bank account numbers. I would ask that the finance company provide you with all written documentation showing your alleged obligation on this debt. You might want to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to help you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption