How long can an attorney/agent hold my earnest money check aftera purchasecontract was canceled?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can an attorney/agent hold my earnest money check aftera purchasecontract was canceled?

What steps can we do to get it back?

Asked on January 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

This question is not as easy to give guidance on as one would think.  The attorney ma be holding on the money because there is or is anticipated a challenge to the cancellation of the contract.  Did you cancel it?  Was the reason valid under the contract?  In other words, was there a breach that would cause you to forfeit the money?  You need to read your contract and you need to ask your attorney about these issues.  If the cancellation was mutual and there was no penalty for the cancellation that could be held to you then it should come back to you almost immediately.  Make sure everything else is ok and then write the attorney a letter requesting it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption