How long before my credit scores increase from the removal of debt that was not mine?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long before my credit scores increase from the removal of debt that was not mine?

About a year ago I started getting denied for credit. I then had my son look into my credit score and report. He is now busy with work and his life. He managed to get many things that did not belong to me off my report. However, it has been 2 months and my score has yet to go up? Should I write letters to the agencies?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Different credit reporting agencies have different time periods for reporting a person's credit score. Custom and practice is that it is done on a quarterly basis. From what you have written, there seems to be the need for more time to pass for your credit score to possibly adjust upwardly.

In the meantime, I suggest that you write a letter to the credit reporting agencies about the credit score that you have and the derogatory marks that were removed from the score due to debts that were not yours and inquire when you might receive an estimate when your credit score would have an improved number.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption