How long after you commit a criminal offense do the police have to charge you?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after you commit a criminal offense do the police have to charge you?

My fiancee was chased by several officers throughout different counties after failing to stop his vehicle for speeding. He jumped out of the car after parking it but they found him and was arrested. His charges were battery on an EMS personnel (he had a seizure after being left in the officer’s melting hot car in the summer). He was charged and accepted 3 months jail time. Why was he not charged with the fleeing incident? He is still in jail, they know where he is. What is the time limit on pressing charges, issuing a warrant, etc? When he gets out should he worry about future charges? Should he speak with a criminal law attorney? In Bay County, FL.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Florida


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good morning,

Thanks for posting to our website and I hope to offer some guidance. To get right to it yes the best thing he can do is speak with an attorney. there are statutes of limitation in place and depending on the charge the time frame differs.

I would need the specifics of the incident, to see the police report, and to know exactly what he is in jail for and the terms of that plea. This is why I advise you to at a minimum speak with an attorney even if you do not hire him for the long term. This will ensure his rights are protected as best as they can be and that he knows exactly what potential issues lay ahead

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption