how long after a person dies do debt collectors have to collect an outstanding debt in nj

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how long after a person dies do debt collectors have to collect an outstanding debt in nj

dad died 1-16-08 had nothing but a small amount of money paid his funeral with that. only amount received after that was about 2500 from tax refund and some aarp insurance owed to him

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If a person dies and has no assets there is nothing for a creditor to collect from.  While a creditor may get a judgement against your dad, the judgment become a debt of the estate.  If the estate has no money there is nothing that the creditor can do.  Judgments are valid in most states for about 20 years just so you know.  Usually, creditor will write off the debts once they realize there is no money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption