How long after a judgement is filed can someone take property from me to pay the debt?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after a judgement is filed can someone take property from me to pay the debt?

A judgement was filed against me 2 years ago for not being able to pay my rent. I had lost my job and all income. I was homeless. I have since gotten on my feet and own a vehicle free and clear. Can the landlord take my car or does he have to file against me again?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against you, most likely it is good for up to ten (10) years unless renewed before the expiration of the ten (10) year period. When a judgment is held against a person, the creditor can attempt to execute upon the judgment debtor's assets (bank accounts, wage garnishment, recording abstracts on real property) in an attempt to get the judgment partially or fully satisfied.

Under the laws of most states, a levy upon a judgment debtor's automobile (up to a certain value) is exept from the judgment execution process. Judgments accrue interest on the unpaid amount usually at the rate of ten percent (10%) per annum.

If the landlord who has a judgment against you has not done anything against you for two (2) plus years, most likely he or she has forgotten about you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption