How long after a car accident can someone file an insurance claim to have damages to their car repaired in Washington state?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after a car accident can someone file an insurance claim to have damages to their car repaired in Washington state?

The accident took place in mid December, both parties settled without any insurance claim reports. No medical attention was needed. 4 months later, there was a claim stating that the other party had to pay for a payment of a new bumper to the car, which was never actually damaged in the accident. Can they file the claim that late?

Asked on June 18, 2009 under Accident Law, Washington


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations on property damage claims is 3 years from the date of the accident in Washington state.  They do, though, have to prove that the damage was related to the accident and I'm wondering if it was after all this time.  Talk to the adjuster and make sure they are investigating.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption