How legal is a verbal agreement?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How legal is a verbal agreement?

I had a booking agent that came to me to DJ for a specific company on a month-to-month basis. He would get 20% from me each month. During the last year i asked him to step up and book more gigs for me but was more focused on his other clients and not do anything for me. The last month Iworked I dropped him and held his pay. He is now harassing and threatening via phone, text, email, and online FB and Twitter. Does he have a case? And do I have anything I can do with the harassment?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Business Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In many states a verbal agreement especially if there is some act in reliance of the agreement or memorandum referencing the agreement is as valid as a written agreement signed by the parties to the contract.

From what you have written, you by admitting to the hold back of this person's pay acknowledge that there was in fact a verbal agreement for services as to you by this third person. Prior checks paid this person would also be evidence of a prior agreement between you two.

As to the harassment, if you want it to stop, you either pay this person what seems to be owed, or you hire an attorney to file a petition for a restraining order at a considerable cost.

From what you have written, the person who wants to be paid seems to have a good case for money that you owe him. I suggest that you pay this person what is owed and get a full written release for the payment signed by him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption