How is a 529IP account owner able to access the account money, or is the beneficiary the only one able?

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How is a 529IP account owner able to access the account money, or is the beneficiary the only one able?

My daughter’s grandfather set up a 529IP account for her 14 years ago. Recently her father, who has money troubles, convinced his father to switch ownership to him. Now my ex-husband is the owner, my daughter the beneficiary. Can he access the money in the account? Can he restrict where she attends college? Can my fathe- in-law revoke this if he chooses?

Asked on April 25, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If her grandfather is deemed incompetent at the time of the transfer, then you might be able to bring this to the plan administrator and see if the administrator will reverse the "ownership".  If your father is of sound mind, then the only issue now is whether you can take over by bringing a motion in court to prove that due to his money issues, he may abuse the power and somehow compromise the account. A 529 plan is one type of plan many families use to save for college for their children.  There are different types of 529 plans and so you need to check which one has been set up for your daughter and with which company. If a non qualified withdrawal is made (i.e., not for school), the father will be paying at his rate (as an owner) for taxes plus another 10% penalty.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption