How does one remove their name from a property deed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does one remove their name from a property deed?

My husband and his 2 siblings all have their name on the deed to their late mother’s trailer (mobile home). His sister is living in it as her primary residence; however, she is very irresponsible and has not paid the property taxes in two years, so even if we lose money we do not want to be financially tied to her.

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed will release your husband's entire right, title, and interest in the mobile home to his sister.  The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary.  Your husband and his sister will need to be present when the quitclaim deed is signed before the notary.  After the quitclaim deed is signed, it becomes effective upon being recorded (filed) with the County Recorder's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption