How does one obtain employment-sponsored immigration?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Employment-sponsored immigrants can come to this country under strict limitations. In many cases, they must obtain certification from the Department of Labor and be paid at least the prevailing wage in that industry and geographic region. There are several mechanisms for temporarily working in the United States. Most popular is the H-1B visa category. This type of visa is only valid for 3 years with a possible 3-year extension. However, during the duration of such immigration status, it may be possible to obtain Labor Certification that would lead to legal permanent residence. Five years after becoming a legal permanent resident, one may apply for naturalization as a U.S. citizen.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption