How does one best deal with a sibling gone rogue regarding mother’s estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does one best deal with a sibling gone rogue regarding mother’s estate?

There are siblings who have inherited our mother’s estate. It consists of cash, stocks, priceless jewellery and furs. We all live scattered over the world; my eldest brother in NH, my youngest sister/executor lives in CA (to be near and care for our ill and now-deceased mother) and myself in Germany. We sisters are in complete alignment. Our brother, however, flew to CA with his spouse 3 days after our mother’s death. They purchased first-class plane tickets for themselves in the amount of $4,500, which they somehow managed to charge to our mother’s estate. The sole purpose of his flight to CA was to secure his

Asked on February 19, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it stands.  So now that your sister has an attorney helping her with the estate she should rely on himor her to do all the communications with your brother.  That is what the attorney is paid for.  The attorney can send a letter advising that the advance on the estate (and lay out what exactly he got and what it is valued at) will be deducted from his share of the estate proceeds.  As for the texting, have her block the numbers.  Let the attorney handle things.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption