How does a person who pleads quilts to aggravated assault in a domestic violence case find employment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does a person who pleads quilts to aggravated assault in a domestic violence case find employment?

My son is about to be sentenced for aggravated assault. It was a domestic violence situation. He is trying to find a job and had been not been able to get

one. He has applied for jobs at companies that hire felons but has not gotten

them because his is considered a violent offense. What is a person to do? It seems the system wants him to fail. We are at a loss.

Asked on September 5, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Once someone has a felony, it will impact their lives until the status has changed.  Unfortunately, those with assaultive offenses having an even more difficult time seeking employment, especially in service sector industries.  Your son does have a couple of options, however.  One is to seek a review of his case with an appellate attorney.  Plea bargained cases are extremely difficult to overturn... but cases have been reversed and undone in the past under the right facts.  It doesn't hurt to ask the question.
His other options are non-legal. Many felons come out of prison with limited skills and public bias.  As a result, many pursue and develop careers as small business owners and/or independent contrators, thereby making the dreaded background check moot.  Have your son set up an appointment with an adviser at your local small business administration and local workforce counselor to discuss these types of career options.  If he wants to stay in mainstream employment, he probably needs to retrain for non-service sector jobs so as to avoid the bias that comes with his assault conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption