How does a person obtain power of attorney and does this legal document includes access to ones medical records?

UPDATED: May 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does a person obtain power of attorney and does this legal document includes access to ones medical records?

I live in Mississippi and my brother is currently incarcerated in a Louisiana prison. He has a mental condition and cannot always understand what’s happening with him medically.(i.e. He was taken to the hospital recently but he doesn’t know what was wrong. Also he has lost an extraordinarily amount of weight and he doesn’t know why.) I spoke with the social worker but she couldn’t give any information due to fear of violating HIPPA regs. I’m not sure what steps to take next. Do I obtain power of attorney and then I can have access to his records?

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes, that sounds like a sensible approach.  However, you will only be able to get a power of attorney at a time when your brother has the capacity to understand the powers he is conferring.  In other words, he has to be able to understand the powers he is giving to you.  Commonly such documents have to be notarized which is another red-tape item you would do well to prearrange with the prison officials.  You should be able to get a form power of attorney with a little legwork on the internet, but be sure it is valid in MS as they vary from state to state.  It also may have a witness requirement.  Once you get it, you will also need a HIPAA compliant release to actually get his medical records.  You might want to check with your local bar association to see if they have the forms or can point you in the right direction.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption