How do you start a non-profit that is incorporated, tax-exempt, and eligible to receive tax deductible donations?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you start a non-profit that is incorporated, tax-exempt, and eligible to receive tax deductible donations?

What will be needed to qualify as such an organization?

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

These are not the kids of questions that can be properly discussed in this forum.  Generally, a not for profit corporation is a 503(C) corporation under the IRS code..  You file for corporate status in the same way as a regular corporation, except for filing for federal and state tax exemption status. Generally, you have to choose a business name, do a trademark search to make sure that the name does not violate any trademarks in existence.  Fill out and form the Articles of Incorporation and the State and Federal tax exemption forms.  You want to make sure that everything is done correctly from the start.  Seek legal help with this .  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption