How do you go about getting immigration status in the U.S. if you have lived here for 7 years?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you go about getting immigration status in the U.S. if you have lived here for 7 years?

I have a cousin who lives in the U.S. who is originally from Poland. She is working with this recording company. She has been here for 7 years and they are suppose to be paying for her rent and other expenses. She has a contract with them and they are always late on those payments or they send them to the wrong address or they just don’t send them out. She is living in a very small room in a house and she does all her records in that room. They do not pay her any wages or royalties for the music, clothing she has to make all her own costumes for the videos or travel she rides a bicycle everywhere she goes that she has to do to produce her music videos, etc. They company has told her that they spent $20,000 to start immigration


Asked on April 27, 2017 under Immigration Law, Wisconsin


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What is her actual immigration status in the US?  Does she have a work visa that is tied to this recording company?  Is she in the US lawfully or unlawfully?  It really depends on what her status is to determine whether she has any actionable complaint against the company and/or through USCIS and/or DOL.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption