How do you get child support if one parents lives in one state and one parent lives in another?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you get child support if one parents lives in one state and one parent lives in another?

Where do I need to get the lawyer? How do we get started for child support?

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In your situation as a presumed minor needing child support, you need your custodial parent to file a petition for child support on your behalf in the county and state where the marital dissolution petition of your parents was filed.

That county and state would have jurisdiction over the issue that you are writing about. If your county of residence has a legal aid program, you might consider contacting it for assistance. If your custodial parent does not want to assist you in the child support issue, you should consult with an attorney to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption