How do you get an at fault company to pay a claim?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you get an at fault company to pay a claim?

I had an accident just over 2 months ago. The person who hit me did not own the car they were driving. The insurer of the car denied coverage because the driver had insurance through another insurance company. However, that company has not denied but has been horrible to work with and is taking their time. They do not respond to calls or emails. How do I put the pressure on to get them to cover the damages? It has been over 2 months.

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse is to sue the registered owner and the driver for negligence. You would file one lawsuit naming both the registered owner and driver as defendants. Filing a lawsuit will prompt a response from the insurance.
Depending on the amount of your damages, you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption