How do you file an amendment to filed paperwork?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you file an amendment to filed paperwork?

I am the administrator to my dad’s estate. My sister is the Co-administrator together we are the biological children. We have been trying to get the rest of the estate cleared

our so we can settle on it but our stepbrother keeps us out of our father’s house. Which hinders the process now a lot of the assets we were going to use and selling of the property to cover final expenses is being held up.

Asked on August 10, 2018 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you and your sister are already appointed as the Administers of the estate then you have the power to evice your step-brother from the home.  You would not file an amdendment but likely an Affidavit of Heirship showing who are the children and the family tree, so to speak.  It is an affidavit prepared by a person who is not related or stands to inherit under intestacy but is familiar with the family.  I think it may be time to get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption