How do you fight verbal and sexual harassment at work?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you fight verbal and sexual harassment at work?

My daughter works for a small oil tank removal company. The owner says sexual references in front of her. Also, the other manager makes fun of her weight and continues to tell her she is worthless. How do we address this without her getting fired? This has been going on for months and my daughter has been documenting these events.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sexual harassment at work is illegal--period. If your daughter is suffering this, she could file a complaint with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or its equivalent state agency in your state; or she could potentially bring a lawsuit. She may wish to speak with an employment law attorney (many provide a free initial consultation to evaluate cases) to explore her options.

Note that that there is no protection for being called worthless (unless the comments are because of sexual harassment or discrimination--i.e. calling her worthless because she is a woman), and in the majority of states no protection against having comments made about your weight.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption