How do you collect money from winning in small claims court?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you collect money from winning in small claims court?

Over $2,000 worth of damage to my vehicle due to negligence at a quick oil change facility. If I win in small claims court, how do I get my money if they don’t pay?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Michigan, if as a plaintiff you are awarded a judgment in that amount (or less), the court will issue an "order for judgment" against the oil change facility. This orders the oil change facility to pay, but does not necessarily "force" them to pay. If a judgment is awarded, you can petition the court to garnish their wages if need be to enforce the judgment. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption