How do we revoke an easement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we revoke an easement?

We have an easement through our property for our neighbors to access their property. The easement is over 20 years old. There is another illegal easement they have also been using which we would prefer to be the ‘legal’ access. The current easement runs right in the middle of our property and our neighbors are not respectful. They drive recklessly and have also been using it as a 4-wheeler track. How can we stop this?

Asked on April 12, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't revoke an easement: an easement is a right in perpetuity to the use of property and is equivalent legally to a deed for property, in that unlike a license for use, it runs with the property and does not expire. 
If it's not actually an easement, you may be able to do something about it--for example, as implied above, a license for use is a different thing, more in the nature of a contract than a deed, and there are circumstances that would let you terminate it. You should bring the paperwork to a real estate attorney to review with you, to see if this is sort of agreement you can terminate or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption