How do we handle a situation wherein a Personal Representativeis not making any effort to close the estate?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we handle a situation wherein a Personal Representativeis not making any effort to close the estate?

Death 2004 – his friend was removed by the courts for not performing. Assigned local attorney as PR in 2009. We put contract in on estate property early 2010. PR asked us to file an addendum with price increase in 07/10. We did. Asked us again for addendum with no contingenies in 12/10. We did. He received another contract that was not better than ours but came back and asked for another addendum with price increase and told our attorney he would file motion to approve ours. Has not done it. No confidence in my attorney but can he file a motion to the court to accept ours? Can we?

Asked on January 25, 2011 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The best thing for you to do here is to fire your present attorney and go and hire another one asap.  You are being given the run around and it needs to stop.  You attorney has to figure out if you have any standing to bring a motion in the Probate Court.  "Standing" means that you have a legal right t ask the court for some relief here. If the Personal Representative has signed the contract as the fiduciary of the estate then he has bound the estate to the terms of the contract and I think that you most likely can bring a motion to enforce the contract  - known as specific performance - but where the matter is in the probate court will matter here.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption