How do I waive my arraignment?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I waive my arraignment?

I was arrested for an OWI several hours from my home, and my court date is next Tuesday. I was told that I could waive my arraignment. I am in the process of hiring a lawyer, but cannot until the end of this week. How long does it take to waive an arraignment, and what is the procedure for doing so?

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Apparently certain of the Judicial Districts in Missouri have a form that you can fill out that allows you to waive your arraignment.  It spells out your basic constitutional rights such as an attorney, etc., and it asks you to enter a plea.  It tells you what your rights are at trial as to witnesses,etc.  You have to sign the form in front of a witness.  I will attach a link to one of the districts but I can not tell you if this is what you need.  It is just for reference.  I would call the court and ask if you can use this form or what you need to do.  And get that lawyer fast.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption