How do I transfer the deed to my parent’s house into my name?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I transfer the deed to my parent’s house into my name?

There was no Will. There are 2 other heirs who do not want to be on the title. I have been through probate and I am the PR. This is my last step and everything else is completed.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, a deed is transferred from the estate to the beneficiary or beneficiaries via what is called an Executor's Deed.  You would execute same.  Now, you need to be very careful here.  You need to make sure that if the other beneficiaries are relinquishing - giving up - their rights to assets that would be theirs it is done in writing and I would even do so before the Surrogate (the Judge in Probate Court).  I would do this especially because you are the PR - whic is a fiduciary position - and you are solely receiving the asset. There can be an appearance of impropriety.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption